Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Pictures from Kemerovo

The neon thermometer in downtown Kemerovo. This was Sunday mid-day. It was about -18 C.


This was Saturday afternoon. Chris & I walked around by ourselves, as C & J were still getting over some jet lag. Here I am standing in front of this really neat snow sculpture. Remember, in Russia they just recently celebrated Russian Orthodox Christmas Jan 7, so there were still a lot of lights & decorations up. This snow sculpture is of Father Frost (Ded Meroz in Russian) and his granddaughter, the Snow Princess (not sure how to say or spell her name in Russian). Chris thinks this picture is hilarious because of how bundled up I look, and also because how small I look compared to this giant snow sculpture:

Chris standing in front of some statue guy - maybe Pushkin?

A close-up of bundled Carie, standing in front of the fountain that you see from the web cam.

Speaking of the web cam, here's the drama theatre that is also seen in the webcam.

Here is Carie with the other Carrie and Jack, walking along the River Tom on Sunday:
Us in front of the same fountain, but this time on Sunday:

In the van on the way to the baby house on Tuesday - Carie has to scrape frost off the INSIDE of the windows with a credit card so that we can see out.



5 comments:

Max and Rusty said...

Carie, I love the picture of you in front of the snow sculptures. What a treasure. We're heading to bed now as you are getting up and about for the day. Jacob looks so cute asleep. I won big at Harrah's tonight. 3 cent bet on first pull won me $9.00! Wow.

Take care and talk to you tomorrow, or it is today - whatever - later, Babuska

Amy and Ben said...

Chris, Carie, and Jacob,
We are glad to see you guys have made it back to Moscow. Sorry to hear that Chris does not feel well. We can't wait to see you back in MI and get to meet Jacob. We loved the pics in front of the ice sculpture. We need to show you our pics from visiting the ice castle in MN. I am not sure you could tell us apart in the pics.

Take Care,
Amy, Ben and Braden

Louise said...

Carie,
I just wanted you to know that we are keeping the temperatures in Battle Creek cold so that Jacob will feel right at home. It was 0oF when I left for work this morning (I think that about -17oC). But with any luck it may warm up before you all arrive back here. I am so excited to see all the pictures and can't wait till you all are home.
Louise

nana&bob said...

Chris, Carie and of course JACOB:

Can't wait to see little Jacob - I don't think I've seen Babuska so excited - and I think papa willie is right next to her (I'm not even gonna try to spell his name). Can't wait until you can bring Jacob out to the pond and play with the boys - Parker and Jacob are only a few weeks apart! and I know Preston will love being the oldest!!! Hurry home!

nana/papa/jordy

Carolyn said...

Carie, Chris and Jacob,

I've been away from the internet the last few days and finally caught up on all of the news and pictures of Jacob. He is a handsome boy! I hope all of you have a safe trip home and hopefully to warmer weather. Not sure what it's like in Battle Creek, but it's 50 degrees in STL. Practically skin-bearing weather. =)

Take care,
Carolyn