Monday, January 21, 2008

It's Official!!!

We are now Jacob's new Mommy & Daddy! Court was this morning, and went very well. Carrie & Jack went first, then us. Chris did great representing us, as the husband answers almost every question - except the date we were married- our coordinator said that the judge knows better than to ask the husband this question! Even better, the 10-day waiting period was waived, so we leave first-thing tomorrow morning to head down to Prokopyevsk to the baby house to pick up Jacob, and C&J's son Ivan.

There were no surpises during court. I think the judge was tired of asking questions by the time she got to us, because our session was shorter than C&Js. Pretty standard stuff - names, occupations, family yearly income, why did we want to adopt. Since we didn't have any other children in the home, they asked us if we had any childcare experience (thank you Roosevelts & Steiners for that...). Also what were our childcare plans since we both work. (Chris pointed out several times his "many days off" per month...) After court, we went to the Dept of Vital Records to get the new birth certificates, then to the police station to process the passports, which will be ready when we get back from Proko tomorrow.

Now we're all drained after all the nerves and excitement from this morning. Chris & I think it's pretty funny that a Siberian air flow has been causing a big cold snap back home - we actually saw the other day that it was warmer here than in Chicago (sorry Laura/Matt, Namy, and Erin/Ed!) We're headed out after this for one last child-free dinner, which may include some celebratory beer... or even vodka (when in Russia...)

We may not get the opportunity to post, as we will be gone all day on our trip to the baby house, then we have to head back to the police station to get passports. We'll hope to post his first official pictures as Jacob Michael Kirill Wolters when we settle in our Moscow apt Wed afternoon. Also, looks like we may get to head home a day early, on Tues, so we'll be looking into changing flights once we get into Moscow. Love, C&C

7 comments:

Russian Adoption Chronicles said...

Congratulations!!!! This is so exciting, can't wait to see pictures.

Our paths almost crossed in Kemerovo.

Monica

Jan said...

I couldn't wait to check the Blog to see if it was official and I was thrilled to see it is! I know you must be "chomping at the bit" to see your son and bring him home. Enjoy the journey!! Congratulations!
Jan

Cheryl said...

I'm going to blame it on the pregnancy hormones but seeing the words it's official brought tears to my eyes. Congratulations! We'll be looking forward to the first offical family pictures! Hope you can get your flight changed without any problems. I'm sure you are anxious to show Jacob his new room.

snails and pigtails said...

Congratulations on becoming mommy and daddy! I recommend eating somewhere that uses real silver and nothing with play equipment - soon that's where he will want to go. He'll even learn to read the signs so he can recommend where you should eat! Give him lots of hugs and kisses from us. Hope to meet him this summer in St. Louis - if our paths cross. I know Parker would love to play at Nana's beach with him.
Tracy

Jody and Rich said...

Congratulations!!! It's a great feeling and a special day, but tomorrow will be even more special. It is so incredible when you get to take him out of that orphanage and know he is finally coming home with you. Again, sorry we are going to miss you in Moscow, but sounds like you'll get to come home early too. Keep in touch and can't wait to see pictures of the little man.
Jody

Amy and Ben said...

Congratulations we are so excited for you! We can't wait to see the first official family pictures. Braden wants to know when Jacob can come over to play. Oh and sorry that been and I have poor cold weather fashion sense. I forgot that I used to feel like the Michelin woman in the coat. Oh well guess it is better to be warm. Congratulations again!

Carolyn said...

Congratulations Mom and Dad! We can't wait to see the pictures!!!

Love,
Carolyn and Rick